Students get going back to school

16 January, 2012
Author: Charles Hodgson

TransLink is urging parents to make themselves aware of new and changed school services and to ensure their child’s go card is topped up and ready for school next week [Monday January 23].
TransLink Acting CEO Matt Longland said TransLink is adding new services and making changes to some school routes for the new school year.
“These changes have been designed to improve service frequency, bus connections and help minimise the need for students to change buses,” Mr Longland said.
“Also having TransLink’s go card makes it quicker and easier for children to get to and from school.
“Travel credit stays on the go card so children can always travel and, if registered, their go card balance is protected if it is lost or stolen.
“Registering a go card is easy by calling 13 12 30, 24 hours a day seven days a week.
“Many parents are also using automatic top-up for their child’s go card so they will always have enough credit to get home.”
Mr Longland said TransLink staff would be out in force in the lead up to the new school year, helping students at major stations with any questions they may have about go card.
“I urge parents to visit the TransLink website or call 13 12 30 to check if your local school bus route has changed.
“The TransLink website has other information on go card concession eligibility and the journey planner for how to get to your school or university campus using public transport.”
Mr Longland said more than eight million trips were made on school bus routes across South East Queensland each year.
“Public transport is value for money for full-time students and their families as they receive a 50 per cent discount using their concession or child go card.
go cards are available from 570 outlets, including all attended train stations across the TransLink train network as well as major newsagents and convenience stores.”
Queensland full-time primary and secondary school students are eligible for a child go card up to and including their 15th birthday.
Secondary students who are 15 years or over should buy a concession go card, as should all other eligible full-time university, TAFE or other approved post-secondary institution students.
More information about the School Transport Assistance Scheme is available on the department’s website