Stay safe in the kitchen this winter

With more house fires starting in the kitchen than any other room, the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS) is reminding residents to be extra careful when cooking this winter.
QFRS Assistant Commissioner North Coast Region John Watson said kitchen fires were dangerous because they could start very quickly and spread to the rest of the house in just minutes.
“Last winter, around 30 per cent of house fires originated in the kitchen, with the most common cause being cooking equipment left unattended or misused.”
“Kitchen fires can have devastating consequences and can start from seemingly harmless everyday appliances like toasters, microwaves and stoves,” Mr Watson said.
“To help avoid a disaster, all kitchens should have a fire extinguisher and fire blanket accessible in the kitchen and know how to use it.
Mr Watson said there were plenty of ways to prevent a dangerous situation while cooking up a storm in the kitchen.
“Don’t ever leave cooking unattended and always supervise children in the kitchen,” Mr Watson said.
“Always clear away food crumbs and scraps from cooking appliances after use and keep electrical appliances away from water and open flames.
“Residents should also check their smoke alarms are in good working order by testing and cleaning them every month.”
If a kitchen fire does occur and can not be safely put out, residents are urged to switch off the appliance, leave immediately and call Triple Zero (000) from a safe place.
The QFRS offers a free home fire safety visit.
To book your Safehome visit, call 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or visit www.fire.qld.gov.au
Safehome is proudly supported by NRMA Insurance.