Mayor Mark Jamieson said the Sunshine Coast Australia Day Awards are an opportunity to publicly recognise and honour the achievements of locals who have made an outstanding contribution to the region.
“There is no doubt we have heroes in our midst making a difference to life on the Sunshine Coast. So it is important that we not only celebrate their contribution on Australia Day but also publicly acknowledge them via a formal, highly respected, awards program,” he said.
“This year we are delighted to welcome seven local businesses as category sponsors for the Awards.
“I extend my thanks, in recognition of their valuable support, to the Sunshine Coast Daily, Seven Local News, University of the Sunshine Coast, Sunshine Coast Sports Federation, Maroochy RSL, Cleantech Industries Sunshine Coast and TAFE Queensland East Coast.”
Nominations are sought for the following categories:
- Citizen of the Year sponsored by Seven Local News
- Young Citizen of the Year sponsored by University of the Sunshine Coast
- Senior Citizen of the Year sponsored by Maroochy RSL
- Community -Group or Organisation sponsored by Sunshine Coast Daily
- Creative sponsored by TAFE Queensland East Coast
- Environment sponsored by Cleantech Industries Sunshine Coast
- Sport and Recreation sponsored by Sunshine Coast Sports Federation.
Nominations close Friday, December 12, 2014. Entries can be completed online, downloaded from Council’s website – www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au – or picked up from Council’s Customer Service Centres and library branches.
The seventh annual Sunshine Coast Australia Day Awards will be announced on Friday, January 23, 2015. The event will include performances by local musicians, special guest speakers and the presentation of awards by the Mayor.