Mayor Mark Jamieson is attending Australia’s premier economic development conference this week as part of council’s push to make our economy more sustainable.
The International Economic Development Conference 2012 has the theme Driving economic leadership in the Asian century.
“I want to position the Sunshine Coast as the best place to invest in Australia – this will help me to do just that,” Mr Jamieson said.
“I was elected on a platform of getting our economy going again – and this is another move in the right direction.”
In just a few months council has taken significant steps towards creating a better environment for investment, such as:
- Scrapping pre-lodgement fees for discussions on possible development applications
- Reducing application fees by 5% for all Commercial, Business and Industrial land uses
- Reducing application fees for 7 selected land use types by 25% by means of a fee rebate when the use commences within 2 years
- Boosting funding for economic development initiatives
- A capital works program of $146 million of which a substantial part will available for local businesses to tender for
- Hosting business leaders round table
- Hosting information sessions to help locals bid for hospital contracts
- Hosting tourism forum
The International Economic Development Conference will provide an insight into what other regions are doing, and it also offers unique networking opportunities.