The Queensland Government has announced funding for Sunshine Coast Council to employ a Local Sport and Recreation Coordinator to get more Queenslanders active through sport and recreation.
Division 1 Councillor Anna Grosskreutz said that council will receive $52,000 per year for three years to fund the position.
“The coordinator will be paid to provide guidance and expert advice to a cluster of sport and recreation clubs,” Cr Grosskreutz said.
“Support will include information about fundraising, promotional activities and sponsorship.
“The coordinator will complement the wonderful job that is currently done by volunteers who provide a great community service for their clubs.”
The Local Sport and Recreation Coordinator will:
- provide advice on governance for a cluster of organisations and source appropriate support avenues
- develop networks and support collaborative approaches to sport and recreation in local communities
- support organisations with grant-seeking, sponsorship, fundraising and corporate partnerships and
- advise on effective marketing strategies and promotional activities for sport and recreation.
The new coordinator to be employed by Sunshine Coast Council will provide support to the following clubs;
- Beerwah Sportsground Management Committee Inc
- Beerwah Bocce Club Inc
- Beerwah & District Rugby League Football Club Inc
- The Glasshouse Country Horse and Pony Club Inc
- Beerwah and District Swimming Club Inc
- Glass House Districts Branch Little Athletics Centre Inc
- Mooloolah Hinterland Churches Soccer Club Inc.
A coordinator has already been funded by the State Government since January 2011 and is employed by Sunshine Coast Council to provide support to the following clubs;
- Noosa District Netball Association
- Tewantin Tennis Club Inc
- Noosa Lions Football Club Inc
- Noosa Branch Little Athletics Centre Inc
- Noosa Touch Association Inc
- Noosa District Softball Association Inc
- Noosa District Rugby League Football Club Inc.
“In total, the State Government’s Jobs Plan program employs 19 Sport and Recreation Coordinators who provide support to most of the sporting clubs on the Sunshine Coast,” Cr Grosskreutz said.
“It’s great that sporting clubs in the Glasshouse Country region will now have a Local Sport and Recreation Coordinator to support them.”