“This year should be the best ever. Not only are all buses free but thanks to the recent network review, there are more buses with better connectivity to trains and key locations right across the Coast,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“As usual, there will be an increase to New Year’s Eve services, with later buses travelling on more routes and the Double Decker is back, so passengers travelling on busy routes will also get a unique viewing experience.
“And it’s not just passengers who’ll benefit. We’re encouraging tourism and accommodation operators to remind guests before they arrive about the Free Holiday Buses. It could be the added incentive to make visitors choose the Sunshine Coast over other destinations.
“The Free Holiday Buses aim to ease congestion at the busiest time of year on our roads and in our car parks, plus, our surveys show that they should increase public transport usage throughout the year with 59% of respondents saying they would use public transport more as a result of the Free Holiday Buses program.”
The free services include:
- TransLink’s Sunshine Coast Sunbus services (25 routes).
- Glasshouse Country Coaches services Hinterland Connect and Maleny-Landsborough-Beerwah.
Passengers can hail the Maleny to Beerwah bus at any point along its route as long as it is safe for the drive to stop. Clearly signal the driver by placing your hand out as the bus approaches.
- Flexilink services Boreen Point to Tewantin, Lake Macdonald to Cooroy, Conondale to Witta to Maleny, Kenilworth to Mapleton and Peachester to Beerwah.
Bookings for Flexilink services must be made two hours before travelling or, for the Peachester & Conondale services, by 9pm the previous evening if travelling on the first service of the day. Call 1300 511 163.
- Council Cabs services.
This affordable transport service is for people aged 60 plus, and those holding a DSP concession card, carers card or companion card. Cabs collect eligible people from their homes and take them to their local shopping centre. Telephone 1300 139 433 by 12 noon on the day before your trip.
For specific route times and maps, pick up a timetable from your local council office, library or visitor information centre, or:
- for TransLink’s Sunbus timetables visit translink.com.au or phone 13 12 30 anytime.
- for Glasshouse Country Coaches, Flexilink and Council Cabs timetables visit the public transport pages on www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au or phone 5475 7272.
Normal booking procedures apply to Council Cabs and Flexilink services.