Only days remain to nominate your business (or a business of your choice) in the Sunshine Coast Business Awards (SCBA). Nominations are free and take less than a minute to complete, either online or by phone. Nominations close 5pm, Friday 31 August, 2012 with the awards ceremony scheduled for Saturday evening 10 November, 2012.
Now in their 18th year, the awards are recognised as one of the largest in Queensland. Eighteen different award categories, covering all forms of business and tourism are available to enter as well as individual awards for Outstanding Business Person and Outstanding Employee of the Year. Special awards will recognise leaders in Export and Innovation and overall category winners will vie for the titles of Small Business of the Year and Enterprise of the Year. Several local businesses will be inducted into the prestigious SCBA Hall of Fame.
Nominees and winners from last year’s awards emanated from all over the region. Testament to the diverse range of local businesses they included an off-road camper trailer and caravan manufacturer from Caloundra, a spirit producer from Woombye, a bed and breakfast operation from Bli Bli, a horse riding tour company from Noosa North Shore, a boutique hotel in Montville and a butcher from Nambour amongst others. An English language school from Maroochydore and an environmental services company from Landsborough won the export and innovation awards respectively.
Primary (Platinum) sponsor of the awards, Sunshine Coast Council said that 18 years since the SCBA were first staged, that the awards were more relevant than ever as the region stepped up its efforts to ensure long-term economic sustainability.
“These awards celebrate the power of our local economy and the more than 34,500 primarily small and medium-sized businesses which make it up,”Mayor Mark Jamieson said.
“Many people would be surprised to learn that our region has a Gross Regional Product (GRP) estimated at $10 billion as at 2008.
“Now, more than ever, we need to identify the innovations, enterprise and excellence of our business community in order to be part of this growing, confident region.
“Continuing to celebrate and award business excellence ensures that these companies and individuals are not only recognised by their clients and customers as business leaders but through the awards process are exposed to other like minded businesses which provides opportunity for collaboration, mentoring and further success,” Cr Jamieson said.
The 2012 Sunshine Coast Excellence in Business Awards categories include:
- Building/Manufacturing (eg: Construction; Building Services; Manufacturing; Suppliers and Contractors; Engineering; Town Planning and Surveying).
- Professional/Business Services (eg: Legal; Medical; Accounting; Financial Planning; Finance; Mortgage/Insurance Brokers; Real Estate; Business Broking; Human Resources; Distribution Companies)
- Creative Industries (eg: Audio-Visual; Media; Digital/Social Media; News Media; Advertising; Marketing; Communications; Craft and Visual Arts; Design (fashion, graphic, Urban, architectural, industrial, interior); Film and Television; Music; Performing Arts; Writing and Publishing; Software; Smartphone Applications and Video Games).
- Training, Knowledge and Development Industries (eg: Biotechnology; Education; Training and Teaching; Industry Development Advice; Information; Communication Technologies; Research and Development).
- Environmental Industries (Water; Waste; Energy; Recycling; Natural Environment, Soils)
- Food and Beverage Production (eg: Regionally Grown Producers; Dairy Producers; Beverage Producers; Seafood/Aquaculture Producers; Confectionery/Bakery Producers; Value-Adders; Livestock Producers)
- Lifestyle Services (eg: Hairdressing; Beauty Salons and Day Spas; Business/Life Coaches; Fitness Centres; Health Retreats)
- Retail/Specialist Services/Home Based Vendors (eg: Retail – large department stores to single operators; Markets; On-line home based businesses; Network Marketing; Trade Services)
- Hospitality (eg: Cafes/Coffee Shops; Restaurants; Food outlets/services; Catering; Wholesale Food Suppliers; Businesses involved in a service of welcoming/ hosting or entertaining guests)
- Tourism (Accommodation)
- Tourism (Attractions)
- Tourism (Experiences)
- Outstanding Business Person of the Year
- Outstanding Employee of the Year
- Small Business of the Year (selected from the category winners)
- Enterprise of the Year (selected from the category winners)
- Hall of Fame
To nominate your business, yourself or another business in the Sunshine Coast Business Awards:
- Nominate online www.scbizawards.org or by phone on 5443 5661