Come rain, hail or storm, Sunshine Coast Council will host three events to celebrate Australia Day in 2012 – now all undercover.
- Sunshine Coast Australia Day Awards on Wednesday 25 January at Maroochy Baptist Centre in North Buderim from 4.30pm to 6pm (no venue change)
- Australia Day celebrations on Thursday 26 January at The Events Centre, Minchinton Street, Caloundra from 10am to 5pm (revised program – see below)
- Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony on Thursday 26 January at Noosa Leisure Centre, Wallace Drive, Noosaville at 9am.
Sunshine Coast Australia Day Awards
The fourth annual Sunshine Coast Australia Day Awards recognise and honour the achievements of locals who have made an outstanding contribution to the Sunshine Coast. The awards will be presented in the categories of Business, Community, Creative, Environment, Sport and Recreation, Senior Citizen of the Year and Young Citizen of the Year.
Australia Day Celebrations
The Australia Day community party will move indoors to The Events Centre at Caloundra on Thursday 26 January to allow the Aussie-style celebrations to remain dry. Entertainment to suit all tastes and ages is planned from 10am to 5pm. The program includes Bananas in Pyjamas stage show, Shaun the Sheep meet and greet, Dan England, The Floating Bridges, Andrew Redford and Afterglow.
The Sunshine Coast Festive Season is proudly supported by Creative Concepts, Quest Community Newspapers (Journal. weekender), Southern Cross Ten, Sunshine FM 104.9, The Inkspot Printers, 92.7 Mix FM and Sea FM 91.9.
Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony
More than 200 locals will celebrate Australia Day by officially becoming Australian citizens at a special ceremony to be held indoors, at the Noosa Leisure Centre. Sunshine Coast Council will host the Australia Day citizenship ceremony that celebrates this important day in the lives of the families and friends of our newest Aussies. Australian citizenship ceremonies are held bi-monthly across the Sunshine Coast region.
Community events – update on wet weather venues
Sunshine Coast Council also sponsors a range of community activities on Australia Day. Events and their revised venues include:
- Noosa Local Legends Awards – Tewantin Noosa Lions and Rotary Club of Noosa Heads Australia Day event will be held indoors at the Noosa Leisure Centre, Wallace Drive, Noosaville from 7am to 3pm. Includes music, food outlets and community stalls. Contact Peter Scofield on 5474 1297 for more information.
- Australia Day on Buderim with the traditional bush breakfast and parade through Main Street from 7am to 12.30pm. Entertainment will be held indoors at the Buderim State School Hall, contact Meg Scott on 5477 0945 for more information.
- Australia Day at Coolum with the return of the street parade, live bands, markets and fireworks from 7am to 7.30pm. The event is subject to weather so contact Don Knopke from Coolum Lions on 54463269 for more information.
- Australia Day Celebration, presented by the Rotary Club of Lake Kawana at La Balsa Park, Pt Cartwright from 10am including a citizenship ceremony, flag raising, jumping castle, live music, sausage sizzle, birthday cake and traditional damper. This community event is subject to weather. Citizenship ceremony may be relocated to Lake Kawana Community Centre at the discretion of the organiser. For details contact organiser Wendy Gilson on 0411 497 599.